Friday, May 7, 2010

Someday Never Comes

759 Days to Complete 101 Dreams Come True

A girlfriend asked me if I had faith that she'd change her life. In the past I would've pacified her fears and said how I believed in her strength while keeping my real opinions inside. But before I could stop my mouth I said, "I believe we'll be having this same conversation five years from now just as we've had it for the last two. I think you will continue to make excuses, daydream about the day when you will be free from the pain, and you won't do anything about it."

"Why can't you just have faith in me?" she yelled. "I need you to tell me that I can do this and that everything will be okay. I need you to be my friend."

I realized at this moment that there's a high to believing things will change. The daydream is safe. The motivational conversations addictive. There is a comfort in the word 'someday'.  When you live this way you don't have to take responsibility for your own life. You can live in a fantasy that has nothing to do with reality. It's not until you take the step to change what you dislike that you find out what the truth looks like.

Too many people in this world dream of someday. Someday they will travel, be the weight they want, leave their dead marriage, get out of the boring job, be rich, feel safe, etc. Someday doesn't come. Today is the day you have. If there is something you hate about your life no amount of faith from someone else can change it; no amount of talking about what bothers you will make a difference. Motivational seminars and quotes aren't going to bring you to the life you long for.

The only way to live the life of your dreams is to stop talking about it and do it. Fear is always going to walk with you. Failure is going to be a possibility. Both are better than stagnation and living in a dream world that doesn't exist.

2 comments:

  1. Bravo, well said, it is a shame that most people take the so called easy road by just daydreaming that everything will be ok, when in realaty it is so much easier to start taking action for the energy derived from small victories are big enough to fuel the continuity to fullfillment, Bravo Marci, well said, you are a true best friend to your friend, by saying the truth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marci, Well said. I am one man who is falling prey to the someday syndrome. Living in that land of dreams is comfortable at times, however, as you bluntly point out that it's far from reality. I have for a long time living in a cocoon woven by my own someday promise.Your well-versed blog is my wake-up call. I plan to start my own blog to keep track of my personal journal out of the dreamy delusion I have developed over time.

    ReplyDelete